Easy Steps To Fix A Clogged Toilet Without A Plunger
In order to prevent flooding, it is important to try to unclog your toilet as soon as you notice that it’s clogged. If for whatever reason you don’t have a plunger on hand, you can unclog your toilet with several different different household items, depending on what you have on hand. Some options include liquid dish soap, bleach, a wire clothes hanger or even hot water. Follow these easy steps to unclog your toilet.
Different Methods To Unclog A Toilet
Unclogging a Toilet with Liquid Dish Soap:
This method is best if you notice that your toilet bowl is not that full; if your toilet is particularly full or you suspect that the clog is very bad, you may want to try the bleach method instead.
- Squirt a few tablespoons of liquid dish soap into the toilet bowl. This will break up the fat in the clog in the same way that it dissolves grease. If you don’t have liquid dish soap, you could also try to use shampoo or even a few small pieces of bar soap.
- Pour 4 cups of hot water into the toilet bowl. This will activate the dish soap.
- Allow the mixture to sit in the toilet bowl for 20 minutes.
- Turn the valve on and flush the toilet.
Unclogging a Toilet with Hot Water:
- Pour 2 to 4 cups of hot water into the toilet and wait for 5 minutes. The water will work away at the fat in the clog.
- Turn the water valve back on and flush the toilet.
Unclogging a Toilet with Bleach:
- Pour 2 to 3 cups of bleach into the toilet.
- Wait 10 minutes; this will give the bleach time to work on the clog.
- Turn on the water valve and flush the toilet.
Unclogging a Toilet with a Wire Clothes Hanger:
- Straighten a wire hanger out with a pair of wire cutters. Ideally, the hanger would have plastic over it so that it doesn’t scratch the porcelain.
- Stick the straightened hanger into the toilet bowl and move it around to break up the clog.
- Remove the hanger, turn on the water valve and flush the toilet.
If you notice that your toilet is clogging regularly, it may be time to contact a professional. If you are in need of professional plumbing services, contact our team of experts at Brothers Plumbing today. We have over 50 years in the industry and offer affordable rates.
Posted By Brothers Plumbing