Top Six Reasons to Renovate Your Home
Renovating a house is a big job. It’s both exciting and stressful, but when the task is complete, it’s always well worth the effort. At Brothers Plumbing, we hear plenty of Toronto home renovation success stories from our clients. Many of these involve the addition or upgrading of plumbing fixtures. This is where we step up to make your reno dreams a reality.
Throughout our years on the job, we’ve come to understand the true advantage of renovating, and we want to share this knowledge with you. Here are the top six reasons to renovate your home.
1. Safety upgrades and renovations
The number one reason for a home renovation should be safety. Over time, houses age just like people do. Unfortunately, your house doesn’t make annual visits to the doctor to ensure there are no health concerns. This creates a need for home renovation, especially as houses reach that 15 to the 20-year mark. Safety upgrades often include:
- Re-shingling roofs due to loose shingles and leaks.
- Patching of foundational cracks to ensure longevity.
- New wood on decks, patios, fences, and gates.
- Upgraded pipes as rust and cracks become concerning.
- Retiling floors to reduce the risk of tripping on cracked tiles.
Additional safety renovations may include the addition of ramps, rails, and bathroom fixtures built for accessibility.
2. Increasing curb appeal and overall style
Home renovation in Toronto is all about adding to the value of your property. Keeping up with the latest décor trends, architectural updates, and landscaping designs can improve the value of your house. Whether you’re looking to sell or not, these kinds of change are long-term investments. The biggest payoffs for curb appeal renovations are:
- Updating the kitchen.
- Upgrading bathroom fixtures.
- Replacing windows and doors.
- Implementing a modern yet timeless landscaping concept.
Brothers Plumbing agrees that updates are necessary to maintain property value. However, it’s also important not to cling too tightly to specific trends. Trends are constantly changing, so renovating your home to include all the latest and greatest décor and architectural changes could require another renovation when those trends change the next year.
3. Going eco-friendly and energy-efficient
There’s been a massive shift in the way homeowners plan renovations. Environmental impact and power usage are scrutinized more than before. Adding appliances, heating and cooling systems, water treatment systems, and water conservation fixtures improve your monthly power bill and decrease your carbon footprint simultaneously.
Some ways to improve your home’s energy output and eco-status include:
- Replacing old windows for maximum insulation and less air leakage.
- Implementing a gas heating system with individual thermostats and timers.
- Adding additional insulation layers to the attic.
- Installing LED or CFL lighting fixtures.
- Solar powered outdoor lighting.
- Adding awnings or shutters to windows to lower summer cooling bills.
- Replacing toilets, faucets, and tubs with low-flow models.
Working closely with a contractor and plumber you can achieve many of these changes with ease.
4. Making a change for comfort
There’s a reason we call a house a “home”, and it has lots to do with comfort. Renovating a house takes time and money, so it’s important that the changes you make increase your contentment with life in that space. Comfort plays a huge role in the happiness we feel at home. Installing plush carpets, upgrading heating and cooling systems, and refinishing home offices are excellent examples of the types of comfort-based renovations.
Sometimes, comfort comes with finishing or refinishing a space. Many basements begin as unfinished areas where storage is kept and laundry rooms are visited. Finishing a basement increases comfort by turning this space into somewhere you want to spend your time. Adding a hobby room is another way to increase comfort in your home. Making a space where you feel relaxed and productive adds to comfort in a big way.
5. Promoting convenience and accessibility
Home renovations in Toronto often include an accessibility factor. Increasing the width of hallways or adding handles to bathroom fixtures all fall under this category. Not all accessibility upgrades are made to promote comfortable ageing, however. Some are meant to provide convenience in general.
Open floor plans, wide hallways, and large door frames are great ways to increase the accessibility of your living space. This makes them more easily maneuvered by wheelchairs and walkers, but also gives you more access to all the rooms of your home and the people who live there.
Convenience is another factor that is considered during renovations. For example, adding an ensuite bathroom to a bedroom adds to the convenience of that area. Having a mudroom placed at the main entrance also adds to the convenience of your property.
6. Designing a home renovation in Toronto for functionality
Functional living space is one that serves a purpose. These renovations might help you save money, time, or space. Each should increase your ability to perform a task or enjoy your home. For example:
- Built-in bookshelves in rooms that have overextended walls in some places and smooth walls in others.
- Adding an inglenook in a kitchen corner to remove the need for chairs.
- A murphy bed for increased hospitality with minimal wasted space.
Space-saving home renovations are increasingly popular because of size restrictions. As the housing shortage increases, so does the space shortage. Finding ways to utilize all the space in your home in modern and functional ways is highly beneficial.
Choose Brothers Plumbing for Home Renovations in Toronto
With more than five decades of experience serving the Greater Toronto Area, Brothers Plumbing has the know-how to help you succeed in your home renovations. Whether you’re replacing a single bathroom fixture or waterproofing your basement, we can help. Our team of professional plumbers know Toronto better than most. This is especially useful in older houses, which require a gentle touch.
Plumbing is a big part of most home renovation projects. If you’re considering updating your plumbing during home renovations, then Brothers Plumbing can help. Contact us today at 1-800-742-0018 to learn more about our services.
Posted By Brothers Plumbing